Half of Cars.com survey respondents say recent gas price drops have caused them to change their workday travel plans, with 30% reporting they will now travel farther
CHICAGO, August 29, 2022 /PRNewswire/ — With air travel woes continuing and gas prices falling, a Labor Day travel survey conducted by the auto shopping market Cars.com™ (NYSE: CARS) finds that Americans are hitting the road for their last summer vacation. The survey found that of the 64% of respondents planning to travel for Labor Day weekend, 80% will drive to their destination1. Of those not planning to travel for the holidays, nearly a quarter cited high gas prices as a reason—significantly lower than the 42% of respondents who cited high gas prices as their reason for staying home during Fourth of July weekend.2.
“For many people, driving is not only the most economical way to travel, but also the most comfortable and convenient,” said Jenny Newman, editor-in-chief of Cars.com. “While gas prices are still too high for some, we’re seeing pain relief at the pump just in time for the holiday weekend. Commuters are also saving fuel by turning to electric and hybrid vehicles, with 36% of commuters using road alternative fuel cars this working day”.
Cars.com’s survey also revealed the following trends1 affecting Labor Day 2022 travel:
- Carpool to save gas: Carpooling on vacation continues to be a popular option, with 73% of travelers planning to drive with others and 47% attributing their carpooling plans to a desire to save fuel.
- Change of plans: About 52% of travelers who usually prefer to fly will now drive due to high ticket prices and constant airline disruptions. Additionally, 30% of respondents who plan to drive say they have changed their destinations and are now traveling further afield.
- A growing number of electric and hybrid vehicles on the road: Among the 36% of commuters who plan to take a road trip over Labor Day weekend, 10% plan to take an EV and 26% plan to take a hybrid. That’s up from the Fourth of July weekend, where 3% got an EV and 9% drove a hybrid.
- Growing concerns as monkeypox cases spread: Sixty-four percent of survey respondents are at least somewhat concerned about contracting monkeypox while traveling this Labor Day weekend. Driving in a personal vehicle can reduce the number of people travelers come into contact with and provide peace of mind while traveling.
- Family road trips: Forty-nine percent of Labor Day travelers plan to hit the road with children, with 63% having one or two children in car seats. This month, Cars.com released its annual Car seat fit report carda resource for families to understand how current vehicles on the market stack up when it comes to safe car seat installation.
To learn more about the latest Labor Day travel survey, great deals and other car buying tips and tricks, visit Cars.com/News.
1Cars.com consumer survey, in the field August 10-12, 2022; 1,932 responses
2Cars.com consumer survey, in the field June 14-17, 2022; 1670 answers
CARS is the leading automotive marketplace platform offering a powerful set of digital solutions that connect car buyers with sellers. Started in 1998 with the main market Cars.com and headquartered in Chicago, the company empowers buyers with the data, resources and digital tools needed to make informed purchasing decisions and connect seamlessly with automotive dealers. In a rapidly changing marketplace, CARS enables dealers and OEMs with innovative technical solutions and data-driven intelligence to better reach and influence ready-to-buy buyers, increase inventory turn and gain market share.
In addition to Cars.com™, the company’s brands include Dealer Inspire®, a technology provider building solutions for merchants of the future with more efficient operations and connected digital experiences; FUEL™, an advertising solution that offers dealers and OEMs the benefit of using targeted digital video marketing to Cars.com’s audience of in-market car buyers; Trader Rater®, a leading car dealer review and reputation management technology solution; CreditIQ™, digital financing technology and Accu-Trade™, vehicle valuation and appraisal technology. The company’s portfolio of brands also includes Auto.com™, PickupTrucks.com™ and NewCars.com®.
The full set of CARS properties includes Cars.com™, The Inspire Trader®, FUEL™, Trader Rater®, CreditIQ™, Accu-Trade.com™, Auto.com™, PickupTrucks.com™ AND NewCars.com®. For more information, visit www.Cars.com.
SOURCE Cars.com Inc.