ITV has signed up a popular farmer to host a brand new cookery show, replacing James Martin, after he retired from TV amid his battle with cancer.
Jimmy’s Farm star Jimmy Doherty, 48, will HOST a new five-episode cooking show, titled Jimmy’s Taste of Florida.
The series will see him head across the pond to Florida and visit 10 state locations, including popular destinations such as Miami, Tampa, Universal Orlando and lesser-known areas including Anna Maria Island and St. Petersburg.
Viewers will see Jimmy share food stories with an astronaut at the Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex and compete with the fastest US oyster shell in Panama City Beach.
The show launches on Monday, with Jimmy celebrating on Instagram with a slew of behind-the-scenes snaps.
Expressing his excitement, he wrote: “I I love the US, but I didn’t know Florida well, so I got the chance to explore a favorite holiday destination for Brits through its food… and it didn’t disappoint!
“From boiled peanuts to Michelin-starred fine dining and everything in between, Florida has a great food story to tell.
“I’m a cook, not a chef, so I was looking for simple, accessible and easy dishes that anyone can enjoy, and of course, I met some great characters along the way.”
Hiring Jimmy comes next celebrity chef JamesThe 51-year-old announced that he would retire from TV until the end of February.
In November last year, he gave fans a candid update on his health while on stage at Liverpool’s Philharmonic Hall for his tour show.
According to The Daily Mirror, he said: “On a personal note, I just wanted to say thank you for 30 years of television.
“For me personally, I’ve been through a lot of problems with cancer, but I will be resolved at the end of next month.
“I’ll be back fighting at the end of February, but I’ll take a little break to sort it out. I just wanted to thank you for all your support and messages.’
James revealed he had surgery to remove facial cancer following his diagnosis in 2018.
The shock admission came after a remarkable tape was leaked to The Sun in which James scolded his TV crew in a nasty rant about a blocked channel.
He told the newspaper that the explosion was the culmination of a series of unfortunate events in his life, which began with the death of his grandfather, then was followed by a home invasion by masked burglars and finally his cancer diagnosis.
He said: “Then I was diagnosed with cancer on my face and had to have an operation, which I couldn’t have until two days before Christmas, when we had finished filming.
“Since then it has come back a few times and I have to have regular treatments.”
The ten-minute abusive tirade at staff took place during production of his show, James Martin’s Sautin Morning, and took place on a fiery Zoom call in 2018 – the same year he underwent surgery for his cancer.
In the audio recording released by The Sun, James swore 42 times and said his staff should be fired and ordered them to take their lunch break standing in the “rain”.
James said he ‘totally regrets’ getting angry and admitted ‘lessons have been learnt’.
Last year, he landed in hot water again after being reprimanded by ITV bosses over allegations he bullied and intimidated staff on his food show.
The broadcaster confirmed it had spoken to the star after concerns were raised about the treatment of crew members while filming James Martin’s Spanish Adventure in May.
After investigating the matter, ITV bosses told the programme’s production company Blue Marlin that changes would be made immediately, reports online news site Deadline.
Sources at ITV told the Mail that bosses would have a ‘close interest in any future filming’ featuring the chef, whose pleasant demeanor has earned him a huge fan base.